Friday 18 May 2007

Must you cellar your wine collection?

When I first started drinking wines back in the mid nineties, cellaring your collection is only for the well to do. A wine cellar then would cost about MY$15,000 and above. Back then I lived in a small single level house and the dozen or so wines that I have was stored under my bed. Every night the air-condition was at work and during the day the wines were subjected to full heat of the day. Nevertheless, I don't recall having a cooked wine; not that it mattered since at that time it was mostly mid range wines.


I moved on to be a little more serious in collecting better wines. Still didn't have a cellar but by then I have moved to a double storey house and I kept the wines in the store room. Its probably one of the few places in a house where temperature fluctuations is kept to a minimum. I eventually did get a cellar at a more affordable price of about MY$1,500 about 5 or 4 years ago. But some of the wines was stored in the store room at less 3 years prior to having a wine cellar.


Last week was mother's day and I was cooking for the family at home. Just mum, dad, wife and a friend. Five of us, perfect number to open 2 bottles of wines. The white was something I have been keeping in the fridge for a while; a Hardys Nottage Hill Chardonnay 2004. As for the red it has to be something more special since its mother's day. So I settled on a Houghton Jack Mann Cabernet Shiraz 1996.

The Hardys Nottage Hill Chardonnay 2004 went well witht the pumpkin soup. Would probably tasted better if drunk earlier but no complains all round.

The Hougton Jack Mann was then served together with the pot roast main course. Earlier on before dinner started I had opened the bottle. The cork was surprisingly still very supple and new looking. I did have a sip and was pleasantly surprised at its quality. Everyone agreed with the quality. The wine colour was still so dense and aroma still so fresh. On the palate all the fruits of plum and peppery flavour was still very upfront. Personaly one of the better wines I had from my collection. A high 19/20 on my scorecard.

In summary, don't worry too much about cellaring your wines. Yes, its important to care for it but at the end of the day its the quality in the bottle that really matters.